My joy as an Orthodontic Specialist is to give my patients a confident smile filled with beautiful straight white teeth. The foundation for that new smile is healthy-strong teeth and gums. Obviously, learning how to brush and floss properly from an early age is the first step towards healthy teeth. The second step is one that is frequently overlooked: protecting your teeth from injury.
Children, teens, and adults experience thousands of injuries from sports-related incidents each year. They can occur when involved in full-contact sports, such as football, lacrosse, hockey, and boxing, but they are also quite common in non-contact sports such as gymnastics, skateboarding, biking, weight lifting, cheerleading, and more.
According to the American Dental Association, “If you participate in any of the activities listed in the box, the American Dental Association and the International Academy for Sports Dentistry recommend that you wear a properly fitted mouthguard.”
For the best overall protection, I highly recommend a custom-made mouthguard. Sports-related injuries can range from a chipped tooth to the loss of a tooth, and sometimes even several teeth can be affected. The cost to repair a tooth or teeth damaged due to sports-related injuries can cost thousands of dollars, making a custom mouthguard by comparison a worthwhile investment.
According to the Journal of the American Dental Association, “A properly fitted mouthguard is an important piece of athletic gear that can help protect your smile. Mouthguards help cushion blows that might otherwise cause broken teeth and injuries to the lips, tongue, face, or jaw. It’s believed that they also may reduce the severity and incidence of concussions.”
UnderArmour has come out with a new series of Performance Mouthwear TM that are as follows:
- UA Performance Mouthpiece: Performance mouthpiece for non-contact sports. Designed for optimal fit and comfort.
- UA Performance Alloy Mouthpiece: Performance mouthpiece for non-contact sports. Ultra-strong and durable for the most demanding athlete.
- UA Performance Mouthguard: Performance mouthguard for contact sports. Superior protection and comfort.
According to independent studies, the UnderArmour Performance Mouthwear TM:
- Increases oxygen intake by 29%
- Increases strength up to 20%
- Increases endurance up to 25% and decreases the amount of lactic acid
- Speeds up reaction time – up to 12% faster
- Reduces athletic stress – Lower levels of the stress hormone Cortisol
- Reduces Impact (ArmourBite R mouthguard only)
There are, however, several different types of mouthguards available besides those that are custom made. There are also custom fit, over-the-counter boil-and-bite, and a simple off-the-shelf type. Regardless of which one you choose, a mouthguard is well worth the expense!
Contact Dr. Turke today to ask him which mouthguard is the best fit for your needs as an athlete!